The College Preparatory School, an independent high school in Oakland, California, seeks an experienced, dynamic educational leader to serve as the Dean of Equity and Belonging beginning July 1, 2021. The Dean of Equity and Belonging reports directly to the Head of School and serves as a member of the senior administrative team in the overall leadership and management of the School.
Founded in 1960, The College Preparatory School is an independent coeducational secondary school created for intellectual risk-takers who want to pursue a purposeful education with kindred peers. College Prep’s 370 students are engaged and motivated learners who help create a kind, intellectual and equitable community. The School’s mission is to prepare students for productive, ethical lives in college and beyond by fostering a stimulating education within an atmosphere of consideration, trust, and mutual responsibility. Faculty and staff thrive at College Prep when they engage in the rich opportunities of its many co-curricular programs. College Prep actively designs programming and curricula that seek to strengthen the school’s ties to Oakland and to the greater Bay Area.
The Dean of Equity and Belonging is responsible for the integrated and collaborative implementation of the school’s goals and programs for equity and belonging, with an emphasis on the complexity of human development in the context of the student experience. The Dean of Equity and Belonging works cross functionally with other school leaders, including the Dean of Students and other members of the Student Life Team members, Dean of Faculty, and chairs of the Equity and Inclusion Coordinating Committee. With this team of colleagues, the Dean of Equity and Belonging will:
- Develop and implement processes to understand and enhance the experience of belonging in the school’s current culture.
- Act as a resource and coach for our diverse community to cultivate anti-bias and cultural competency skills.
- Support leadership development for students leading identity and diversity organizations and events.
- Oversee regular equity and inclusion training for faculty and professional development opportunities for faculty and staff.
- Provide oversight for the development of Compass Block Programming, and coordinate with the Dean of Students on Retreat and Advising programming
- Support and guide the faculty and staff Equity and Inclusion Coordinating Committee.
- Support the Dean of Faculty on hiring and retention of faculty and staff of color and from other underrepresented groups.
- Assist faculty, department heads, and the academic dean to create more inclusive and culturally responsive curriculum and pedagogy and serve on the Curriculum Committee to assess curricular initiatives.
- Serve as staff liaison to the Board of Trustees E&I Committee, and as a resource for the Board of Trustees in integrating multicultural skills and habits of heart and mind into their stewardship of the school.
College Prep actively encourages life-long learning and supports the professional development of all of its members. Benefits include medical and dental coverage, a retirement plan for eligible employees, and most pleasantly and collegially, a prepared lunch every day.
Please send nominations, or a cover letter and résumé in confidence to:
Staci Williams Seeley, Managing Associate
Nishant Mehta, Partner
As an equal opportunity employer, College Prep welcomes candidates representing diversity of all kinds. We celebrate the inclusivity of our community regarding race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity.